» Enjoy our series of e-books on liturgical seasons!
Previous calendar: Saint Gregory the Great, pope and doctor; San Luigi Orione (RCMP)
Gospel verse, 2 Cor 6:2b:
Behold, now is a most acceptable time; behold, now is the day of salvation.
Today is Charing Saturday of Lent or Embertide spring. See Contemporary Observation of Ember Days and Days of Lent for more information.
The traditional The station church is now at St. Peter’s Basilica. In this Vatican basilica, priestly ordinations were once held on Ember Saturday, preceded by a long vigil. The 1962 Missal includes three additional Lessons, a remnant of those once read at night. The first reading from Deuteronomy 26:16-19 is one of the readings from the old missal. In the previous calendar (1962), today is the commemoration of Pope Saint Gregory the Great. His feast in the current calendar is celebrated on September 3. According to the general Roman calendar, today is the feast of Saint Luigi Giovanni Orione, FDP He was an Italian priest who was active in meeting the social needs of his nation in the face of the social upheavals of the late 19th century. To this end, he founded a religious institute of men. Saint Luigi was canonized by Saint John Paul II on May 16, 2004.
The station church today >>>
Meditation on the Liturgy — Spring Ember Days
According to Church tradition, the first week of Lent is the week of the Spring Ember Days. The days of embers are specifically a tradition of the Church of Rome, its roots being partly in the Old Testament – where for example the prophet Zechariah attests to four seasons of fasting over the years – and partly in the tradition of pagan Rome, with its sowing and harvest festivals still remembered today. So we have this beautiful combination of creation and biblical history, a combination that is a sign of true catholicity. In the celebrations of these days, we receive the year from the hand of God, receive our time from the Creator and Redeemers, and entrust sowing and reaping to his goodness, thanking him for the fruit of the earth and our labor. The celebration of the Days of Ember corresponds to the fact that “creation awaits with ardent desire the revelation of the sons of God” (Rm 8, 19): through our prayer, creation enters the Eucharist, participates in the praise of God .
In the 5th century, however, the Days of Ember took on another dimension, becoming exploits of the spiritual harvest of the Church, feasts of the Holy Orders. The arrangement of the stationary churches for these three days is very significant: Wednesday, Saint Mary Major; Friday, the Church of the Twelve Apostles; Saturday, Saint-Pierre. On the first day, the Church introduced the ordinands to Our Lady, to the Church in person. “Sub tuum praesidium confugimus” (We fly to your protection), a Marian prayer from the 3rd century, comes to mind here when we meditate on this action. The Church entrusts its ministers to the Mother: “Here is your mother”. This word from the Cross encourages us to take refuge with our Mother. Under the mantle of Our Lady, we are safe. In all our difficulties we can turn with immense faith to our Mother, we dare to take our service.Friday was the church day of the Twelve Apostles. As “fellow citizens of the saints and servants of God”, we “are built on the foundation of the apostles and the prophets” (Eph 2, 19-20). Only within the framework of apostolic succession, the faith of the Apostles and the apostolic structure of the Church, with a true priestly system, that is, can we build the living temple of God. The ordinations themselves took place on Saturday night, in preparation for Sunday morning in Saint-Pierre. Thus the Church expressed the unity of the priestly system in union with Peter, as Jesus at the beginning of his public life had called Peter and his “partners” (Lk 5:10), after having taught from Simon’s boat. week of Lent is a week of sowing: let us entrust to the goodness of God the fruits of the earth and the work of human hands, so that all may receive daily bread, so that hunger may be removed from the earth. Let us also entrust to the goodness of God the seed of the word, in order to revive in us the gift of God which is in us “by the laying on of hands” of the bishop (2 Tim 1, 6), in the apostolic succession , in union with Peter. Let us thank God who has protected us in all temptations and difficulties, and pray in the words of the prayer after Communion that God grants us his favor, that is, his eternal love, himself, the gift of the Holy Spirit, and that he will also grant us the temporal consolations which we need in our weakness:
“You have strengthened us, Lord, through these mysteries and nourished us with your heavenly sacrament. Stay with us for comfort us and Save us, and never stop to show us your to favor“.
Let us make our prayer “through Christ our Lord”. Let us pray as under the mantle of our Mother. Let us pray like confident children. The word of the Redeemer remains firm: “Have faith, I have overcome the world” (Jn 16:33).
—Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger (Pope Benedict XVI), Journey to Easter
Saint Luigi Orione
Luigi Orione was born in Pontecurone, diocese of Tortona, on June 23, 1872. At the age of thirteen, he entered the Franciscan convent of Voghera (Pavia), but left after a year because of a bad health. From 1886 to 1889 he was a pupil of Saint John Bosco at the Valdocco Oratory (Youth Center) in Turin.
On October 16, 1889, he entered the diocesan seminary of Tortona. As a young seminarian, he dedicated himself to the care of others, becoming a member of both the San Marziano Mutual Aid Society and the Society of Saint Vincent de Paul. On July 3, 1892, he opened the first Oratory in Tortona to ensure the Christian formation of boys. The following year, on October 15, 1893, Luigi Orione, then a twenty-one-year-old seminarian, opened a boarding school for poor boys in the Saint Bernardine estate. On April 13, 1895, Luigi Orione was ordained a priest and, on this occasion, the bishop gave the clerical habit to six students of the boarding school. In a short time, Don Orione opened new houses in Mornico Losana (Pavia), Noto – in Sicily, Sanremo and Rome. Around the young Founder were formed seminarians and priests who constituted the first nucleus of the Little Divine Providence. In 1899, he founded the branch of the Hermits of Divine Providence. The Bishop of Tortona, Msgr. Igino Bandi, by a decree of March 21, 1903, issued the canonical approval of the Sons of Divine Providence (priests, lay brothers and hermits) – the male congregation of the Little Work of Divine Providence . It aims to “cooperate to bring the little ones, the poor and the people to the Church and to the Pope, through works of charity”, and professes a fourth vow of “fidelity to the Pope”. In the first Constitutions of 1904, among the aims of the new Congregation, figured that of working to “realize the union of the separated Churches”. Animated by a deep love for the Church and for the salvation of souls, he took an active interest in the new problems of his time, such as the freedom and unity of the Church, the Roman question, modernism, the socialism and the Christian evangelization of industrial workers. the Marsica region (1915). By appointment of Saint Pius X, he was appointed vicar general of the diocese of Messina for three years. On June 29, 1915, twenty years after the founding of the Sons of Divine Providence, he added to the “single tree with many branches” the Congregation of the Little Missionary Sisters of Charity who are inspired by the same founding charism. Alongside them, he places the Blind Adorer Sisters of the Blessed Sacrament. Later, the Contemplative Sisters of Jesus Crucified were also founded. For the laity, he created the associations of the “Ladies of Divine Providence”, the “Former Pupils” and the “Friends”. More recently, the Secular Institute Don Orione and the Secular Popular Movement Don Orione have emerged. After the First World War (1914-1918), the number of schools, boarding schools, agricultural schools, charities and social works increased. Among his most enterprising and original works he erected the “Little Cottolengos”, for the care of the suffering and abandoned, which were usually built on the outskirts of large cities to serve as “new pulpits” from which to speak of Christ and of the Church – “true beacons of faith and civilization”. The missionary zeal of Don Orione, which had already manifested itself in 1913 when he sent his first religious to Brazil, then extended to Argentina and Uruguay (1921), Palestine (1921), Poland (1923), Rhodes (1925), USA (1934), England (1935), Albania (1936). From 1921-1922 and from 1934-1937, he himself made two missionary trips to Latin America: to Argentina, Brazil and Uruguay, going as far as Chile. He enjoys the personal respect of the Popes and the Authorities of the Holy See, who entrust him with confidential tasks of solving problems and healing wounds both within the Church and in relations with society. He was a tireless preacher, confessor and organizer of pilgrimages, missions, processions, living nativity scenes and other popular manifestations and celebrations of faith. He loved Our Lady deeply and encouraged her devotion in every way possible and, through the manual labor of his seminarians, built the sanctuaries of Our Lady of the Guard in Tortona and Our Lady of Caravaggio in Fumo. In the winter of 1940, with the aim of relieving the heart and lung troubles which tormented him, he went to the house in Sanremo, even though, as he put it, “it is not among the palm trees that I would like to die, but among the poor who are Jesus Christ.” Only three days later, on March 12, 1940, surrounded by the love of his confreres, Don Orione died sighing “Jesus, Jesus! I’m leaving.” His body was found intact when first exhumed in 1965. Pope John Paul II inscribed Don Luigi Orione in the Book of the Blessed He was canonized on May 16, 2004.—© Libreria Editrice Vaticana
Saturday of the first week of Lent,
station with San Pietro in Vaticano (St. Peter in the Vatican): The station is in St. Peter’s Basilica in the Vatican, where the people gathered towards evening to attend the ordination of priests and sacred ministers. This day was called Twelve classes on Saturday, because formerly twelve passages of the Holy Scriptures were read, as on Holy Saturday. The original basilica was built by Constantine in 323 on the spot where St. Peter was buried.
For more information on station churches, see Stationary Church.