Walnut Hill Church is an ecumenical church, stemming from a historic relationship with Episcopal and Presbyterian traditions, connected with and seeking unity and understanding of all Christian church traditions. We welcome all who seek God’s love and comfort. We believe that the true basis of Christian community is love which is greater than all our differences and without this love we have no right to Christian community.
Our mission is to provide public worship, apostolic ministry of word and sacrament, religious instruction, pastoral care and counseling, and witness to the community of the need for life and work in the name of Jesus.
Walnut Hill Church was founded in 1785 on land donated by Mary Todd Lincolns grandfather, Levi Todd. The current sanctuary was built in 1801, replacing a log structure and making it the oldest Presbyterian church building in Kentucky. The adjoining Church Sanctuary, Trinity Hall and Cemetery are beautifully situated on land listed on the National Register of Historic Places and minutes from downtown Lexington, Kentucky in a charming country setting.
Walnut Hill is seeking a full-time Acting Pastor, with at least three years of experience, who is spiritually mature, compassionate, and collaborative. The interim pastor must also be an effective communicator, preacher, and worship leader who is genuine and has the ability to engage people and build relationships.
Functional areas of responsibility
The interim pastor will help guide the congregation through a process of evaluation and discernment to clarify its present and future priorities for calling a new pastor and, during this transition period, will provide continuity through the services of worship and pastoral care.
- Plan, prepare and lead weekly worship services; additional seasonal services (i.e. Advent, Christmas Eve, Easter)
- Select anthems and coordinate with Music Director regarding other musical selections
- Administer the Sacraments of Communion and Baptism
Development of faith
- Sunday morning thematic conversations
- Select discussion topics and related materials for the weekly adult study group
- Facilitate conversation around the topic or series of studies
- Guide/advise faith formation activities for youth and children
- Provide pastoral care to members, as needed/requested
- Monitoring of visitors and new participants
- Make emergency or hospital visits as directed
- Regularly visit homebound members
- Officer at weddings and funerals
Management and Administration
- Lead the congregation through a process of ministry discernment and organizational assessment
- Serve as a non-voting member of the vestry and work with people such as treasurer, building chairman, field chairman, etc.
- Work in collaboration with 4 part-time staff members (administrative assistant, musical director, children’s program coordinator, caretaker)
- Collaborate with leaders and volunteer teams for community service events and activities, such as:
- Sandwich Ministry, in partnership with the Catholic Action Center (monthly)
- Backpacking Ministry, in partnership with Brenda Cowan Elementary School (weekly/monthly)
- After-service refreshments (weekly)
- Fall and Spring Potluck (semi-annual)
- Ecumenical Sunday (annual)
- Walnut Hill Bike Ride, in partnership with Bluegrass Cycling Club (annually)
- Write/send email communications to the congregation weekly and one print newsletter monthly
The position will be for one year and may be extended by mutual agreement. It may be terminated by either party upon 60 days notice.