Happy Saturday neighbors! Here’s everything going on in town today.
First of all, the weather forecast for the day:
Windy with clouds and sun. High: 44 Low: 29.
Here are the four most popular stories today in Laurel:
- To verify local businesses and participate in Maryland.gov) today (November 27). This 11 years of tradition give the community a opportunity to support their local businesses. Data from U.S. Small Business Administration shows that in 2020, Americans spent $ 20 billion during this event. America’s main streets are the local business heartbeat. Of unique trinkets To specialty cuisine and special events, Mainstreets offer shoppers a unique experience that shoppers can only find locally. (
- The The University of Maryland (UMD) received $ 2.5 million as gifts from the Clarivit family to support a transformation in the arts department and provide resources to education majors. A part of the Don promote innovation in the arts department through research opportunities for faculty and graduate students, artistic programming, cutting-edge technology, refurbished studios and an open-air exhibition space that will showcase the work produced by students, faculty and scholars. guest artists of the UMD. (University of Maryland)
- Bowie State University, with two others Historically black colleges and universities selected, were selected as initial participants in Bowie State University) New Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (“STEM”) Scholarship Program. The program will devote more than $ 4 million over five years to HBCUs in states where Penn National operates to fund STEM scholarships and internship opportunities with the company. Penn National President and CEO Jay Snowden noted that “Improving access to STEM opportunities for HBCU students is another important step in promoting social and economic equity, as well as diversity, inclusion and belonging. “(
- Prince George County saw a dramatic rise in homicide rate in 2021, with more than 100 murders reported so far this year. The highest county attorney, State Attorney Aisha Braveboy, said she would continue to support efforts to address the underlying cause of crime, as well as to conduct criminal proceedings. She says the to concentrate must also be on the underlying needs of young offenders. Braveboy said that the Coronavirus pandemic and the social isolation because of this were part of the problem. (OMCP)
Today in Laurier:
- Laurel Small Business Saturday (10:00 a.m.)
- Small Business Saturday Marker Market: Holiday Edition (11:00)
- Blvckroom Studios Open Day – Free food and drinks! Open day at Blvckroom studios. One stop shop for all artists and musicians! (8:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.)
- Laurel Dutch Country Farmers Market—Open on 9701 Fort Meade Road (8:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.)
- Happy Hour Saturday Late Night—Sounds by DJ Yazell at 5 Sisters Restaurant (9:00 p.m.)
- Small Business Saturday Manufacturers’ Market: Holiday Edition! —Due to space, the show is limited to 10 booths. With your registration you will receive a table and a folding chair. Everything you need / want for your booth should be provided by you. It is strongly recommended that you bring marketing materials, such as brochures or maps. (10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.)
- Public food distribution-Join the apostolic faith of the Bible Way of the Prayer Tower to serve the community by donating fruits and vegetables, bread, meat and dairy products which are donated to be distributed to the needy. Boxes and bags full of groceries to grab and take away. Volunteers are encouraged to call (240)583-0996 to get involved. (10:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.)
- Laurel Police Department: “We are partnering with the Laurel Volunteer Rescue Squad and the Laurel Volunteer Fire Department to sponsor a TOY DRIVE to benefit the Laurel Children! You will find a large box in the lobby of the station to donate NEW unwrapped toys … “(Facebook)
- Town of Laurel Economic and Community Development Department: Ready to #ShopSmall on Small Business Saturdays? Attend this event today (November 27) at 378 Main Street between 10 a.m. and 12 p.m. to celebrate #SmallBizSat. Enjoy FREE coffee and donuts, buy small gifts and enter a raffle for a chance to win over $ 500 in local business gift cards! (Facebook)
- Holiday Celebration: Hanukkah is a Jewish holiday that lasts eight nights, usually in November or December. This year it starts at sunset on Sunday November 28 and ends on December 6.
From our sponsors – thank you for supporting the local news!
You are officially in the loop for today! I’ll meet you in your inbox tomorrow morning with a new update. If you notice these newsletters, consider inviting some of your friends and neighbors to follow. You can send them this link to subscribe.
– Alexis Göring
About me: My name is Alexis A. Goring. I am a resident of the Bowie area with a pulse for people, news and reporting! I worked as a freelance writer / editor / proofreader in the media industry for 15 years. I am also a published author, experienced blogger, and the founder of Writer at Heart Editorial Services. Visit my website for more details about me and my work. Here is the link: https://alexisagoring.jimdofree.com.
Got a tip or suggestion for an upcoming Laurel Daily? I’m all ears. You can email me at [email protected]